Saturday, September 13, 2008

Is Rudeness a Right?

Is rudeness becoming the status quo? Have we forgotten the old adage “you get more flies with honey than with vinegar”?

Case in point…I was in a fast food joint the other day (which in and of itself is an odd thing as I am a huge believer in the drive-thru) and I was treated to a display of behaviour that has me shaking my head even now.

It was quite clear to everyone that this woman did not get what she expected (a freebie bottled drink). After talking to the staff and having her order changed so that she could get the free drink she made sure that we all knew she was unhappy with the service through out her entire meal. Including the employees in the back.

I don’t know if she was having a bad day. Or simply enjoys making a scene. Or feels powerful when she’s abusing people that can’t fight back. What I do know is that I was put off by it. I felt like I was watching a schoolyard bully at work. Although nothing I said would have had any effect other than to ramp up the situation and give her another target, I still felt slightly ashamed at having been part of her captive audience.

Is this just how we live now?

We no longer value politeness?

Is rudeness a right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. Why can't people like that do what I do which is basically suck it up, deal with it, and let it go?
Rudeness is my ultimate pet peeve!